WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) – Nineteen people were sent to hospitals after an office building in downtown Worcester filled with carbon monoxide.

Fire Department spokesman Frank DeLiddo says two people who were initially listed in critical condition were sent to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston for treatment on Thursday.

They were also treated in hyberbaric chambers at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.

A Mass General spokeswoman said the two were later upgraded to fair condition.

The 17 others were treated and released at Worcester area hospitals.

About 150 people were evacuated after toxic fumes filled the five-story building on Southbridge Street at about 10 a.m.

DeLiddo says the leak was traced to a faulty furnace in the basement.

The building also houses a restaurant and retail stores.

AP-ES-05-29-08 1823EDT


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.