CENTRAL FALLS, R.I. (AP) – It wasn’t a lightning strike, a downed tree limb, or a car plowing into a utility pole that knocked out power to 1,700 customers in Central Falls.

It was a balloon.

A National grid spokesman says a metallic “Mylar” balloon that got stuck in a power line near Dexter Street on Wednesday night, caught fire and eventually brought down the wire just after 8 p.m.

About 1,700 customers were without power for more than an hour.

National grid spokesman David Graves says the foil-like balloons cause a lot of problems, including short-circuits and outages.



Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.projo.com/

AP-ES-07-10-08 0626EDT


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.