DIXFIELD – A fire early Monday morning caused about $2,500 damage to an upstairs apartment, but no injuries.

Dixfield Fire Chief Scott Dennett said three firetrucks and nearly 20 firefighters from Dixfield and Peru responded to the 1:30 a.m. blaze on a second-floor apartment at 13 Main St. The tenant, Heather Carey, is staying with relatives.

He said the fire apparently began on the kitchen stove as Carey was warming oil. Her attempts to extinguish the flames were unsuccessful. The pan caught on fire, causing smoke damage and fire damage to the ceiling and a wall. The fire was confined to the apartment, which is at the back of the building. Five other apartments are also in the building.

Dennett said firefighters were on the scene for about an hour. Sullivan Properties of Lewiston owns the building.

He said Carey does not have rental insurance.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.