Dear Sun Spots: I hope you can help me clear something up. I recently received a letter, a copy of which I have included, that contained an offer to help me recoup funds from retirement plans in which I may have vested interest. Usually I would just chuck something like this, especially since it requested personal information, but it came in a very official looking envelope (copy also enclosed), and it so happens that I was vested in a retirement plan with Eastern Fine Paper in Brewer before they closed, and I never was able to get any information on what happened with that. Coincidence? I cannot ascertain for myself whether this letter is legit, and the Post Office couldn’t tell me either, so I thought maybe you could. It’d be nice to find out I am due something from my earlier employment, but if it is some kind of scam, I think the public should be warned to beware. Either way, thanks for any help! – No Name, No Town.

Answer: We noted that the mailing came from the IRS and checked that out first. The IRS offers a “Letter-Forwarding Program” which, according to the IRS Web site, “offers assistance to individuals who have retained the social security numbers of the persons they wish to contact, but whose address or whereabouts currently are unknown to the inquirer.” They will search its database for recent addresses and forward the letter to the missing person. They do not give your address to the person requesting, just forward the letter on the requester’s behalf. Included in the types of organizations who can request this service are Plan Administrators or sponsors of qualified retirement plans who are attempting to locate missing plan participants.

Pension Benefit Information, Inc. (PBI), the requester of your current information, has been a Better Business Bureau Accredited business since June 1990. This means it supports the BBB’s services to the public and meets their standards. Also, your letter meets all of the requirements by the IRS.

Though all seems legitimate, if you have any doubts, we urge you to search for any information you have on Eastern Fine Paper and contact them directly about your pension benefits. We were unable to turn up any information.

Dear Sun Spots: I have knitting and crochet directions for afghans and baby afghans. Also, for Barbie doll, Cabbage Patch Kids. I have directions for an E.T. – he’s 3 feet tall when completed. If anyone is interested call 225-3580. – No Name, Turner.

Dear Sun Spots: Thanks for all you do to inform the general public! What type of glue would I use to reaffix a sheet of Formica onto a piece of heavy plywood furniture? Thank you! – No Name, No Town.

Answer: Peter Landry of Central Maine Cabinetry and Millwork, Inc. in Lewiston suggests using any type of contact cement, which you can find at any home improvement store. It can be purchased in a spray can; Landry says to spray both the Formica and the plywood, allow to air dry, then stick together. He cautions that you only have one shot, once it’s stuck, it’s stuck!

Dear Sun Spots: I wonder if you or your readers could help me locate a reputable tailor in the central/southern Maine area. Thank you for your valuable service to the community. – No Name, No Town.

In addition to responses from readers, for alteration services contact Alterations by Judy, 571 Sabattus St. in Lewiston at 783-6201. Paula Pelletier at Stitched with Finesse is located at 15 Key Hill Drive in Greene; call her at 946-7242. Also, Dorea Fortier of Chez Dorea, 277 Lisbon St., Lewiston, second floor. She can be reached at 783-2908. Cecile at 784-3028 also does alterations of all kinds from her home.

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name (we won’t use it if you ask us not to). Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be posted at in the Advice section under Opinion on the left-hand corner of your computer screen. In addition, you can e-mail your inquiries to [email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.