BARNSTEAD, N.H. (AP) – Four young campers were hurt, and two of them hospitalized, when a makeshift cooking fuel can they were refilling with alcohol exploded on Saturday in Barnstead, N.H., spraying them with burning fuel.

Deputy Barnstead Fire Chief Shawn Mulcahy said the girls, at Camp Fatima, were pouring alcohol into small can they were using as a heat source for a stove and didn’t notice a flame still was burning in the can. The flame followed the stream of fuel into a one-gallon metal can and exploded.

Mulcahy said two campers suffered very minor injuries, but two others were more seriously hurt – one burned on the arm and one burned on the face, neck and leg.

Mulcahy said they were lucky everyone survived.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.