LEWISTON – Flames ignited by plumbers working on an East Avenue apartment building were out before fire crews arrived Thursday afternoon.

Lewiston Battalion Chief Bruce McKay, who supervised responders, said plumbers working on pipes at 183 East Ave. accidentally ignited part of a wall in the building’s basement about 1 p.m. Thursday. They called the Fire Department, but extinguished the flames before crews arrived.

“We just basically came to check it out,” McKay said. “We opened up a wall a little bit to make sure there were no flames behind it, but that was it.”

Crews from Auburn’s Fire Department covered the call. Lewiston’s fire crews were busy, responding to an earlier fire at 107 Wood St.



Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.