Eleanor L. Freeman

1923 – 2009

BOWDOIN – Eleanor L. Freeman of Bowdoin passed away Friday afternoon, July 3, at CMMC in Lewiston, where she had been a patient since Sunday, June 28, receiving loving care.

She was born in Bath, on Oct. 11, 1923, the daughter of Albert W. and Helen Hanson Coffin and was educated in Bowdoinham schools, graduating from Brunswick High School in 1942. She was married to Llewellyn C. Freeman on June 21, 1942, at the Berean Baptist Church in Brunswick.

Eleanor worked as a CNA for many years at the former Regional Memorial Hospital in Brunswick, following retiring from the hospital she worked part-time for CHANS. She owned along with her husband, the Freeman General Store at Bowdoin Center. She was a homemaker and worked along with her husband on the farm for many years and was known to drive the dump truck to visit her friend Ruth at Bowdoin Center.

She was an avid Red Sox Fan never missing watching a game if possible. Among her other interests were bingo games which she enjoyed many nights a week and trips to Las Vegas, Atlantic City and Foxwoods whenever she had the chance, her last trip was to Hollywood Slots just a few weeks ago. She also enjoyed her family and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Eleanor was a member of the West Bowdoin Baptist Church, worked at the Good Shepherd Food Bank associated with the church, Electra Chapter-OES of Bowdoinham, Bowdoin Historical Society, Bowdoin PTC and Carter’s Corner Cackle Club.

She is survived by three sons, Gary and his wife, Nancy, of Bowdoin, Richard and his wife, Dorothy, of Westphalia, Ind., Jeffrey and his wife, Diane, of Sabattus; two daughters, Patricia Pratt and her husband, Rodney, of Bowdoin, and Nancy Alward and her husband, Robert, of Sabattus; 15 grandchildren; 23 great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

She was predeceased by her husband, Llewellyn Freeman on Nov. 15, 1998; and a brother, Albert W. Coffin.

Guest Book