STRATTON — The Dead River Area Historical Society will open for the season on Saturday, July 4, and will be open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. every weekend during July and August.

The new Dead River Plantation and Flagstaff Walking Tour exhibit, which is a work in progress, will be available for viewing. The drowning of Flagstaff Village and Dead River Plantation can be visited by boat. When this exhibit is complete, visitors will walk through the villages using photos of where the town used to be. Some residents in Stratton used to live in Flagstaff and are knowledgeable about how the town appeared.
The Sam O White exhibit, which has been moved to a larger location in the museum, will be open as well. Sam O White Day will take place on Saturday, July 11.
Also on display are artifacts, manuscripts and photographs that have been donated or loaned by interested townspeople and descendants of original families of the Dead River Region. Collections from 1850 on include old carpentry and logging tools, china, glass, church organ, furniture from native families, a complete schoolroom, a memorial room to the towns of Flagstaff and Dead River, the lineage of several native families and a host of memorabilia from native homesteads.
For more information, call Mary Henderson at 246-2271.

Comments are no longer available on this story