SABATTUS — State Fire Marshal’s Office officials have determined that the fire that gutted a Sabattus home Monday night was accidental, caused by malfunctioning electrical wiring inside the home.

After the Sabattus, Wales and Lewiston fire departments contained the blaze Monday night, state fire investigators responded to the scene to interview residents and neighbors of George Gowell’s destroyed home at 594 Sabattus Road. They returned Tuesday morning to investigate during daylight.

The fire originated in wiring between the ceiling of the first floor and the floor of the second, Senior Fire Investigator Chris Stanford said Tuesday.

The fire burned a 6-foot hole through the second story floor near where the fire began, Stanford said. Firefighters had not been able to enter the building Monday night because of the intensity of the flames and the extent of the damaged. The fire was reported shortly before 9 p.m., Sabattus Fire Chief Don Therrien said Monday night.

“It’s obviously a significant loss. The family had everything inside the house,” Stanford said. The home was insured, he said.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: