NORWAY — Three adults and an infant escaped unharmed in an early morning house fire on Yagger Road on Tuesday.

Fire crews from seven towns arrived at 134 Yagger Road shortly after the call came in at 3:18 a.m. and found the roof engulfed in flames. Firefighters were able to rescue three cats that were still in the house.

Fire Chief Dennis Yates said the homeowner, Mike Mackenzie, was able to keep the flames on the roof of log cabin style house from spreading substantially, using a garden hose until firefighters reached the scene.

Yates said the fire started on the porch when flames from an unattended citronella candle spread up the side of the house and onto the roof.

“Realistically it looks like everything can be fixed,” Yates said. The damage was contained in the roof and the master bedroom on the left side, where the ceiling had to be ripped down. The remainder of the house was unscathed, he said.

Yates said the fire was discovered by Sharon Mackenzie when she woke up and smelled smoke. Her visiting adult daughter and 8-month-old grandson were also in the house, he said.


Yates said the house was outfitted with smoke detectors that were working, but did not go off immediately because the fire was on the outside of the structure.

“It was accidental. It was pretty cut and dried,” he said.

Crews from Norway, Paris, Oxford, West Paris, Waterford, Minot and Otisfield and PACE Ambulance Service were at the scene.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: