OXFORD — A local man lost his auto repair garage at 42 Old County Road to a fire Wednesday night.

Fire Chief Scott Hunter said Phil Perkins was in his house next to the garage when he spotted flames coming through the roof at about 7:15 p.m.

“He lost everything,” Hunter said. The building was not insured, and he estimated the loss at about $100,000, including tools, equipment and a box van.

The state fire marshal is expected to visit the scene Thursday morning, but Hunter said due to the extensive damage a cause may not be determined.

He said Perkins told him he was doing some grinding and welding in the garage in the late afternoon, but he didn’t know if that sparked the blaze.

The approximately 40- by 40-foot garage was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. Oxford Fire Department was joined by others from Otisfield, Norway, Paris, Mechanic Falls, Poland, New Gloucester and Casco to shuttle water to the scene.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: