WILTON — An electrical problem sparked a fire at a home on Route 2, damaging the attic and kitchen early Tuesday morning, fire Chief Sonny Dunham said at the scene.

Stacy Baker was watching TV at about 1:30 a.m. when she smelled smoke and found the attic full of it, he said. She, her four children and two visiting children escaped unharmed, he said.

Investigator Ken McMasters of the State Fire Marshal’s office was at the scene and the cause was determined to be an electrical problem, Dunham said late Tuesday afternoon.

The fire was quickly knocked down, he said.

The 1½-story home at 1085 Route 2 West is next to R.S. Osgood & Sons. It was damaged, especially the kitchen, the chief said. It has an attached ell and barn and is insured.

Along with Wilton Fire Department, East Dixfield, Farmington, Jay, Peru, Dixfield, Temple and Chesterville departments responded. NorthStar ambulance service was also at the scene.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.