LEWISTON — It was an up and down game for both Lewiston and Falmouth, but the Blue Devils responded in the third period to take a 3-1 boys’ hockey victory at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee on Wednesday.

“We had a great start, I wished we could continue that for the whole game,” Lewiston coach Jamie Belleau said. “It was a good first period.”

The Blue Devils fired 20 shots on net to Falmouth’s two in the first period.

“We didn’t get off the bus, in my opinion, the second period was a little better to the average fan, as far as I am concerned we never got off the bus,” Falmouth coach Deron Barton said

It was the Yachtsmen’s second shot that put them on the board first. With Lewiston on the power play in Falmouth’s zone, Falmouth forward Brandon Peters intercepted a pass at the blue line and was one on one with Lewiston goaltender Nick Hawk. Peters deked to the backhand and slid the puck past Hawk with 3:11 remaining in the period.

“That was a boost in any game,” Barton added. “The idea is to build off that, we did for a couple of shifts and we kinda of faded back away. We weren’t consistent with the intensity at all.”

The unassisted goal also put the Blue Devils on a 5-on-3 man advantage, as Peters wasn’t listed on the official score sheet.

Barton said it was his fault for the error.

Lewiston tied the contest on the two-man advantage before the first intermission intermission when defenseman Eddie Emerson found forward Matt Poulin, who snapped the puck past Dane Pauls stick side.’

Falmouth controlled most of the play in the second period thanks to three power plays, but couldn’t find the back of the net as the Yachtsmen threw 13 shots on goal.

“We didn’t help ourselves in the second period,” Belleau said. “To come out and play like we did in the first period, to have a let down in the second period, fortunately we responded well, which is good. We need to put three of those together”

In the third period, Emerson picked up his second assist of the night when he found Kyle Lemelin at the offensive blue line as he just came on the ice. Lemelin skated into the offense zone and ripped a shot from the top of the right circle to beat Pauls 7:43 into the period.

“Kyle is a senior captain on the team and he’s been playing for four years, we need him to show up in big games,” Belleau said. “Eddie has been very good this year. That made the difference, I was very pleased, in the first period we moved the puck very well and had quality chances.”

Lemelin potted the empty-netter as he skated into the offensive zone and slid it into the net.

Nick Hawk made 15 saves for the Blue Devils, while Dane Pauls stopped 30 shots for Falmouth.

“You got to give Nick (Hawk) a lot of credit,” Belleau said. “He weathered the storm in the second and he didn’t get much help. He kept us in the game and gave us a chance to win the game in the third.

Lewiston was 1-for-3 on the power play while Falmouth was 0-for-3.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.