JAY — A container of ashes from a wood stove beside a door started a house fire at 23 Maxwell Road on Wednesday afternoon.

Benjamin York and his son live at the home owned by Byron Johnson, Assistant Chief Mike Booker of the Fire Department said.

A door and part of a wall in the basement were charred, he said. There were small flames and a lot of smoke when members of Fire Department arrived about 2:30 p.m.

The family can still live in the home, he said. The home is near the intersection of Route 4 and is not insured.

About 30 firefighters responded from Wilton, Farmington and East Dixfield.

Central Maine Power shut off electrical service. A NorthStar ambulance was on scene and Jay police helped with traffic control.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: