LISBON — An unattended quartz heater ignited a fire in the bedroom of a Lisbon Street apartment building Wednesday night, fire Chief P. Sean Galipeau said.

There were no injuries, he said.

Galipeau said the heater was placed on an overturned plastic laundry basket in an apartment at 679 Lisbon St. When the plastic melted, the heater toppled onto a bed and ignited the bedding.

The three men living in the apartment escaped unharmed, he said.

Damage was estimated at between $10,000 and $15,000 to the bedroom and an adjacent room, the chief said. He said sprinklers helped prevent more damage.

The large, two-story building is owned by Dr. Peter Stenberg and houses his office and Dag’s Bait Shop, Galipeau said.

The fire was reported at about 6:30 p.m. and brought under control within 20 minutes. Durham Fire Department responded to the scene and Topsham Fire Department filled in at the Lisbon Falls station.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: