LEWISTON — A Poland man accused of stabbing his uncle remained in jail Monday in lieu of $40,000 after appearing in court and claiming he acted in self-defense.

Phillip Audet, 29, was in 8th District Court Monday afternoon. He was arrested Sunday evening and charged with elevated aggravated assault and violating condition of release.

He had been on probation after his conviction in Massachusetts for threatening a family member with a knife, police said.

Audet’s uncle, Steven Narbonne, was listed on Monday in good condition at Central Maine Medical Hospital after undergoing emergency surgery for knife wounds.

Judge Susan Oram lowered Audet’s cash bail to $40,000 and barred him from having any contact with his uncle should Audet be released from Androscoggin County Jail.

Audet asked for a court-appointed attorney.


Assistant District Attorney Patricia Reynolds Regan said Audet had a record of prior convictions, including criminal trespass, assault, violating bail and criminal mischief. She had asked that Audet’s bail remain at $50,000, “due to the serious nature of the offense” and his criminal record.

Defense attorney Richard Charest said Audet was born and raised in Maine and has family in the state.

Security surveillance cameras “are going to prove that this was an act of self-defense,” Charest said.

Audet works sporadically for a painting contractor, but doesn’t earn much, Charest said. Audet’s convictions aren’t recent nor are they major crimes, Charest said. He asked for a contract for supervised release for Audet that didn’t have a cash component.

Oram said she had read the affidavit supporting the arrest and said the victim’s injuries “were quite serious.”

Charest said prosecutors are likely to present Audet’s case to a grand jury for indictment on the felony charge.


Police said Audet and his uncle had fought on Sunday morning at Narbonne’s home at 197 Torey Road, Poland, where Audet had been staying.

Narbonne walked to a neighbor’s house after suffering two stab wounds with a butcher’s knife, police said. He was unable to awaken anyone at the house. A family member arrived home at around 1:30 p.m. and found Narbonne collapsed at the residence. He was taken to the hospital and police were summoned.

Audet fled the scene in Narbonne’s vehicle, but abandoned it on Interstate 95, where police pursued him into nearby woods with a K-9 unit.

After his capture, he was brought to Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office, where he was questioned.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.