CHESTERVILLE — A fire heavily damaged a four-bay garage Wednesday at 171 George Thomas Road when a bulldozer caught fire while it was being worked on, fire Chief Edward Hastings IV said.

He estimated damage at $30,000 to $50,000, including tools.

Twenty to 25 firefighters from eight departments responded to help put out the fire.

The pole-style barn structure was located behind Robert Smith’s house.

Smith was working on an older gasoline-powered bulldozer in the garage when the engine backfired and then caught fire, Hastings said.

He tried to contain it but couldn’t, and it spread to the garage, he said.

Firefighters from Chesterville, Farmington, East Dixfield, Jay, New Sharon, Temple, Vienna and Wilton were able to put out the fire quickly and prevent it from spreading to the house and into the woods.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.