1939 – Founder Sam Bennett sold his “Italian Sandwiches” out of a small shop in Auburn, on Minot Avenue, near the intersection of Elm Street. His wife and sister-in-law helped in running the business.

1940 – Sam’s moved to the present location on Main Street in Lewiston.

1946 – The Sam’s Bakery was started on Oak Street to serve the growing needs of Sam’s.

1950 – Pizza was added to the menu.

1956 – The Bakery became well known and started selling products to outside establishments.

1958 – Sam’s replaced the wooden building on Main St. with a new and larger brick one at the present location to house both the sandwich shop and bakery operation.


1965 – Jerry Clements, a nephew of Sam, joined the family team.

1967 – Clements took over active management and ownership.

1973 – Phil Libby became partner.

1973 – Spaghetti was added to the menu as well as hot meatball sandwiches.

1982 – Sam’s opened on Center Street, Auburn.

1983 – Sam’s opened on Lisbon Street, Lewiston.


1984 – The Sam’s Bakery became its own entity with Sam’s daughter Mary Curtis and her husband Gary as proprietors.

1986 – Sam’s opened Main Street, Freeport and Minot Avenue, Auburn stores.

1988 – Main Street expanded to add seating for 52.

1988 – Sam’s opened on Sabattus Street, Lewiston.

1990 – Sam’s opened at Cook’s Corner in Brunswick.

1993 – Sam’s opened in Rumford; expanded seating in 1996.


2001 – Sam’s opened at the Marketplace Mall on Main St. in Lewiston.

2001 – Rick Michaud became part of the shareholder team.

2003 – The business added a full-function catering operation.

2003 – Jerry Clements and Phil Libby retired; Rick Michaud became sole shareholder and president.

2005 – Sam’s opened in Lisbon Falls.

2006 – Sam’s opened in Augusta.

2009 – Sam’s opened in Waterville.

2011 – Sam’s opened at the Mobil Mart on outer Lisbon Street in Lewiston.

2014 – The Sam’s Italian Sandwich Shoppes celebrate their 75th anniversary at all 13 locations.

Comments are no longer available on this story

filed under: