MEXICO — Firefighters from Mexico and Rumford quickly knocked down a trailer fire Thursday evening at 10 Angie Lane.

“It was basically a couch fire,” Mexico fire Chief Gary Wentzell said. “The fire started on the couch, and when we investigated, we found that there were a bunch of clothes on it, along with an ashtray. At this point, I’m attributing the fire to a cigarette, or some type of smoking material.”

No one was injured, he said, but a pet bird died from the smoke and a pet cat is missing.

Wentzell said firefighters arrived at 2:45 p.m., after an Angie Lane resident reported the blaze.

“When we got to the scene, we went around to the back window and saw that the fire was pretty much knocked out already,” Wentzell said. “We only sprayed water on it for about five seconds. It was mostly smoke.”

The chief said, “We haven’t been able to find the cat yet, so we suspect that the cat made it out of the house.”

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.