LEWISTON — A home was damaged by a fire that swept up the side of one wall on Tuesday morning.

Local firefighters brought the blaze under control, saving the single-family, two-story home at 22 River Trail from becoming a total loss.

Fire Chief Glenn Holt said Tuesday that the fire started in a plastic cigarette butt container on a porch and ignited the outside wall and climbed to the roofline.

Smoke damaged one room, Holt said. Total damage was estimated at $10,000.

A neighbor spotted the smoke and called the owner, who was in the home.

No injuries were reported, Holt said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: