LIVERMORE FALLS — A fire that destroyed a house on Metzger Lane on Sunday morning is believed to have started in the basement when a spark from a wood stove caught a wood pile on fire, fire Chief Tim Hardy said Monday.

The wood pile was opposite the stove, about 3 feet away, he said.

Firefighters believed the early-morning fire was out when they left the residence more than two hours later, but it rekindled.

Metzger Lane is located off Route 117.

Owners Mike and Sue Metzger were alerted to the fire at approximately 12:36 a.m. by their dog, which woke them up, Hardy said. They all got out of the house safely, he said.

Approximately 24 firefighters from Livermore Falls, Fayette, Jay and Livermore responded to the initial fire, which was knocked down within 30 minutes, Hardy said.

Advertisement

The home suffered fairly significant damage in the basement and smoke damage on the main floor.

Firefighters left the scene at 3:11 a.m. and the Metzgers left soon after, he said.

The fire rekindled and firefighters were called back at 7 a.m. Approximately 40 firefighters responded.

The main section of the house was gutted, and an attached section received heat and smoke damage, he said.

The house is insured.

The Metzgers are staying with friends.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.