PARIS — Investigators say a fire that destroyed a home on Durgin Road on Friday morning was caused by an improperly installed wood stove.

No one was injured in the blaze that gutted the inside of the single-story home at 111 Durgin Road. Firefighters rescued a dog, and a cat could not be found. 

Crews from three fire departments were called to the scene to help battle the blaze, which started around 11 a.m.

Homeowner Robert Brown was home at the time and was able to get out of the burning house without injury. There were no other occupants. 

Crews from Paris, Norway and Oxford fire departments responded to the scene.

According to Paris Fire Chief Brad Frost, a state fire marshal’s report indicated a funnel that billowed smoke outside was improperly installed and there was no insulation around the wood stove.

The homeowner did not have insurance, Frost said. The American Red Cross has been in contact and will assist Brown. 

[email protected] 



Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: