AUBURN — A stainless steel chimney insert was not enough to keep an old chimney from causing a structure fire Monday evening.

According to Batallion Chief Dean Milligan, the 6:31 p.m. call for a chimney fire at 1769 Hotel Road sounded more like a structure fire from the start when he heard reports of flames coming through the roof.

Milligan said about 14 Auburn firefighters arrived on scene with backup from Lewiston.

“The guys did a good job,” he said. Firefighters discovered fire in the attic and quickly went to work. An Auburn ladder truck crew cut holes in the roof to vent and fight the flames from above.

Milligan said the most likely cause was a hot stainless steel liner and old creosote inside the aging chimney. The creosote caught fire and from there spread to the roof.

The home sustained “quite a bit of damage — several thousand for sure,” Milligan said. After the fire was put out, Milligan said firefighters removed the unsafe liner and the masonry chimney top.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.