PHILLIPS — A Vienna woman suffered second-degree burns on her feet Tuesday when the three-bay garage she was cleaning caught fire at 75 East Madrid Road, Fire Chief Mark Rousseau said.

The garage and its contents, including some antiques and a fifth-wheel motor home, were destroyed, he said. The garage and contents were not insured, but the motor home was, he said.

The fire was reported at 11:07 a.m. 

Vonda Cears, the daughter of owners Leroy and Marie Smith, also of Vienna, was treated at the scene by NorthStar EMS ambulance personnel for burns but was not taken to the hospital, Rousseau said.

Cears told firefighters she had been smoking a cigarette and she threw it out the back door, Rousseau said. Shortly after, she noticed the building was on fire.

Eighteen firefighters from Phillips, Strong and Salem Township fought the blaze that was heading toward the woods because of the dry grass.


It was a very fast-moving fire because of the wind, Rousseau said. 

When the first engine pulled in, the garage was engulfed in flames, he said. The fire started on the back exterior of the building.

The garage was the only building on the property.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: