JAY — A fire that destroyed a one-story cabin at 234 Depot St. on Monday evening started around the wood stove, Fire Rescue Chief Mike Booker said.

There were no injuries.

About 25 firefighters from Jay, Chesterville, East Dixfield and Wilton responded to the 6:50 p.m. call. When they arrived, the camp was engulfed in flames, Booker said.

Jeff Farrington told fire officials he had gone to the store and noticed smoke when he returned. He opened the door, saw the fire and reported it, Booker said.

Farrington’s father, James Farrington of Jay, owns the camp. It was not insured.

Jeff Farrington lost his belongings in the cabin.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: