AUBURN — A small house on Old Portland Way was gutted by a quick fire Tuesday night when the family was out to dinner, according to Auburn Fire Battalion Chief Dan Flanagan. 

Lawrence and Jorden Pooley and their two children had just returned home from dinner when they noticed smoke coming out of the front windows. Lawrence Pooley tried to open the door, but the knob was so hot his key broke off. He called 911.

Auburn Fire and Rescue got to the scene at 8:20 p.m. and had the fire knocked down by 8:26 p.m., Flanagan said.

“Unfortunately, they’re out of a house,” Flanagan said. “Fortunately, all they lost was material. No one was hurt and the house was insured.” 

A local fire inspector was called in for a routine investigation. Flanagan said the fire was not suspicious. “We investigate all fires to help prevent more in the future,” he said.

Mutual aid was called in for additional water tankers because there were no hydrants near the residence.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: