On July 6, I lost most of the contents of my home in a fire at the Madison Condominiums in Rumford.

First of all, I want to thank Matthew Roy for saving my life. He is a real hero.

To those who dropped everything and ran to be by my side that morning — thank you so very much.

Huge thanks to friends and neighbors who helped look for my cat in the eight days following the fire. It was recovered and in great condition.

Thank you to the strangers who sent packages and offered household items; friends and family who sent gifts, cards and offered clothing.

To those who helped me move and get my new place set up, offered storage for the things I was able to salvage and provided any kind of help or showed they cared for me — thank you, thank you, thank you.

I appreciate those who have checked up on me during the past few weeks to ask how I am doing and for all of those who have been praying for me.

Last, but not least, thank you to all the first responders from various departments who worked tirelessly to extinguish the fire. They, too, are heroes.

I truly appreciate what everyone has done for me during this traumatic experience. May God bless you all.

One final word — please be careful about distinguishing smoking materials. It could mean changed lives forever or even worse, loss of life.

Janet Jannace Ramey, Rumford


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.