WATERVILLE (AP) — Authorities say three people were hospitalized for evaluation after a woman discharged too much bug spray inside her Waterville apartment.

The Morning Sentinel reported (http://bit.ly/2ccUPMZ ) firefighters outfitted in hazmat suits responded to the multi-unit residence around 12:45 p.m. Thursday after someone reported having respiratory issues.

Fire Chief David LaFountain says crews came prepared to handle serious phosphate chemicals, but found that the woman had oversprayed her apartment with bug spray because she’s afraid of germs.

Two women and a male maintenance worker were in the apartment when firefighters arrived. They were treated at the scene for exposure and were taken to a local hospital for further evaluation.

LaFountain says bug spray contains a fine powder than can be harmful to the lungs. Chronic exposure can also lead to skin problems.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.