Firefighters respond to the scene of a fire Sunday in Poland. No one was injured; however, some chickens perished in the blaze. 

Firefighters respond to the scene of a fire Sunday in Poland. No one was injured; however, some chickens perished in the blaze. 

POLAND — Heat lamps in a basement workshop area of a Tripp Lake Road home sparked a fire in Poland Sunday, causing up to $15,000 in damage, Poland Fire Chief Mark Bosse said.

Smoke detectors alerted the homeowners to the fire, he said.

“Everything worked in the homeowner’s favor today,” he said. “Whoever built the house built it to the current standards.”

Two fire engines and an ambulance responded to the scene after the homeowners called 911 when the home filled with smoke.

“We were able to (act) quick,” Bosse said. “The crew did an outstanding job being able to stretch a hose line and make it through an area they’re not familiar with.”

They contained the fire to a small area where heat lamps used to keep chickens warm ignited combustible material.

Crews from Oxford, Paris, Mechanic Falls and Minot also responded to the call.

The chickens perished; no human injuries were reported, Bosse said.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: