AUBURN — A Lewiston man was charged Tuesday with strangling a woman while threatening to kill her and burn their house down.

An Androscoggin County grand jury handed up an indictment against Jon Addison, 33, of 8 Arch Ave. with three felony counts. He is charged with aggravated assault, a Class B crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison. He also is charged with domestic violence criminal threatening and domestic violence assault, each one a Class C felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

According to a police affidavit, the 32-year-old victim said she and Addison had been arguing earlier in the day over his use of her cellphone, on which he had been viewing pornographic websites. She was angry because their young children use her phone to play games, Lewiston police officer Dominic Cloutier wrote.

When they had friends over that evening, Addison had pushed the victim in the face with a dirty piece of clothing, she told police. After their friends left, the victim was starting to put their children to bed when Addison told the victim’s 10-year-old daughter that he wasn’t her biological father. The girl hadn’t been aware of that information. The victim gathered her children and brought them to stay with neighbors. When the argument cooled, she brought her three sons back home, but left her daughter with the neighbor.

When she tried to put the couple’s three sons to bed, Addison reignited the argument, which escalated, the victim told police.

Addison raised the issue of the victim’s daughter not being biologically his. The victim responded that Addison had no family, she told police. Addison responded by grabbing her by the neck with both hands and pushing her backward, according to the affidavit. The victim tripped over a chair and fell backward, Addison landing on top of her. His hands were still around her neck as he pinned her to the floor, according to the affidavit.


With his hands still around her neck, he threatened to “kill her” and that he would “burn their home down.”

The victim said one of her sons witnessed the end of the fight.

Police said the son saw his father on top of his mother with his hands around her throat. The boy thought Addison was going to kill his mother, so he yelled at Addison: “Don’t kill her,” according to the affidavit.

The officer who responded to the call said he saw a “very light abrasion” on the victim’s throat, “but no clear strangulation marks or bruising” at that time.

Addison was convicted in 2008 of assaulting the victim, according to the affidavit.

Comments are no longer available on this story

filed under: