TEMPLE — The deaths of a Temple couple have been ruled a murder-suicide by the Medical Examiner’s Office, according to a statement by Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Autopsies on Thomas Masse, 60, and his wife, Michelle Masse, 59, showed both died from a single gunshot wound to the head. Investigators said Masse shot his wife and then shot himself, according to the release.

Her body was found in the bathtub; his in a living room chair with a handgun by his side, the statement said. 

Police said they were called to the home at 214 Temple Road after Thomas Masse called the Franklin County Regional Communications Center in Farmington  about 5:50 a.m. Tuesday and said he was going to shoot himself.

The first police to arrive at the home were Franklin County Sheriff’s Deputy Bradley Scovil and Farmington Police Officer Kevin Lemay. Shortly after arriving about 6 a.m., Scovil called the cellphones of the couple, but they were not answered, McCausland wrote. Additional calls were made to the home after Maine State Police troopers and other deputies arrived. The state police tactical team and its crisis negotiation team also went to the home.

Tactical team members entered the home about 12:30 p.m. and found the bodies.


Thomas Masse worked at Collins Enterprises on Route 2 in Wilton. Michelle Masse worked at the Colonial Valley Motel on Wilton Road in Farmington.

Local community members said Wednesday that they were saddened this could happen in the rural town just outside Farmington. 

Cindy Madore, owner of Madore’s Market in West Farmington, considered Thomas Masse a faithful customer, she said Wednesday. The convenience store is the closest one to the town of Temple.

“I always found him to be a pleasant, friendly guy,” she said. “It is such a sad thing to hear. I would never picture this happening. So very sorry for the family and friends.”

“I was saddened that it happened in a small town where people usually know what is going on,” Temple resident Jo Josephson said. “Most people I have spoken to did not know the couple. There are so many services out there to help people during difficult times.”

The Maine Medical Examiner’s Office ruled Wednesday that Thomas Masse, 60, shot his wife, Michelle Masse, 59, on Tuesday and then killed himself in a murder-suicide at their residence at 214 Temple Road in Temple. Police were called to the home just before 6 a.m. after Thomas Masse made a 911 call from the house saying  he was going to shoot himself. (Sun Journal file photo)

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: