Brian Morin, left, and Bryan Wood were each charged with three counts of arson related to the downtown fires in April-May of 2013. Morin is free on probation. Wood was found incompetent to stand trial and the charges were dismissed.

Brian Morin, 30, charged with three counts of arson

Brian Morin, now 34, was charged with three counts of arson in a fire that destroyed two vacant apartment buildings on Bartlett Street and damaged an occupied building on Horton Street on May 6, 2013.

He pleaded guilty in 2014 to the three felony charges and was sentenced to 25 years in prison, with all but five years of that sentence suspended by an Androscoggin County Superior Court justice. After his release, he was ordered to serve 12 years of probation.

He is currently free on probation, according to Maine Department of Corrections records.

While serving his sentence for the arson convictions at the Maine Correctional Center in Windham, he was convicted of misdemeanor assault, fined $300 and sentenced to one additional month.

Bryan Wood, 24, was charged with three counts of arson

Bryan Wood, now 28, was charged with three counts of arson stemming from a fire that burned two vacant apartment buildings on Bartlett Street and an occupied building on Horton Street on May 6, 2013.

Later that year, an Androscoggin County Superior Court justice ordered Wood’s release after finding him incompetent to stand trial on those charges because of his low IQ. The justice found he was unable to fully understand the criminal proceedings against him and would not be able to assist in his defense.


All arson charges against Wood were dismissed.

Since that time, Wood was charged in Oxford County Superior Court in South Paris on Aug. 4, 2017, with aggravated criminal trespass, punishable by up to five years in prison. He also was charged with assault, theft by unauthorized taking, obstructing report of a crime and violating condition of release.

That case is ongoing. His attorney has filed for a motion of mental examination after raising issues of competency based on prior findings of incompetence.

Abdi Ibrahim, 12, was charged with four counts of arson

Abdi Ibrahim was charged with four counts of arson stemming from fires that burned four apartment buildings and a garage on Bartlett and Pierce streets in Lewiston on May 3, 2013. The fire started in the back of the garage.

In an agreement with the Androscoggin County District Attorney’s Office, Ibrahim admitted two years later to a felony charge of aggravated criminal mischief. He was committed to Long Creek Youth Development Center in South Portland until his 17th birthday. He was scheduled to be released earlier if he completed a commitment program before he turned 17.

Ibrahim, now 17, was recommitted to Long Creek on April 10. He had completed his program for his commitment for the 2013 fires and was released from Long Creek, but in September 2017, he was arrested by Lewiston police at a Pierce Street apartment for beating and stabbing a 52-year-old man who, Ibraham’s 17-year-old girlfriend said, had sexually assaulted her.


The man suffered a large laceration to the back of his head, a broken arm and a stab wound to his leg. He was later investigated for the alleged sexual assault, a Lewiston detective wrote in an affidavit.

In March of this year, Ibrahim admitted to aggravated assault based on that incident. He was recommitted to Long Creek until he is 19½, but that sentence was suspended and he was put on probation for one year. Conditions of his probation include random search for alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms and dangerous weapons. He was ordered to undergo substance abuse and psychological counseling and treatment at Day One, a residential treatment center in Hollis. He was to have no contact with his victims and was to reside with his parents after his stay at Day One while on a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew.

A month earlier, before Ibrahim was recommitted to Long Creek, police were dispatched to a disturbance on Birch Street where Ibrahim was detained. Officers observed he’d been drinking and had blood on his hand. He tried to punch an officer as he was being detained and struggled to get free, according to police.

After he was handcuffed, he spat in the face of an officer who was escorting him to a cruiser. The face of one of the people who walked out of the Birch Street building Ibrahim had left was bleeding, an officer wrote in an affidavit. The 28-year-old man said Ibrahim had punched him in the face in the building’s hallway where he had gone to smoke a cigarette. That man was taken to a hospital to be treated for his injury.

Ibrahim was taken to Long Creek for violating conditions of his release from the September assault. He was summonsed for assault, assaulting an officer, resisting arrest and illegal possession of liquor by a minor or juvenile.

Prosecutors filed a motion to revoke his probation on April 9 after he was discharged from Day One for “disciplinary reasons.” A day later, in court, a judge ordered his underlying sentence to be committed to Long Creek until age 19½ reinstated.


Brody Covey, 12, was charged with three counts of arson

Brody Covey was charged with three counts of arson stemming from fires on April 29, 2013, on Blake, Bates and Pine streets.

After a suppression hearing, a judge threw out incriminating statements made by the boy to police and his mother during an interview at the police station.

The 8th District Court judge ruled that a Miranda warning was delivered by a detective too late in the interrogation. All related charges against Covey were dropped by the state.

He was sent to a residential facility on the midcoast to continue school and undergo treatment.

He later resided in southern Maine.

[do_widget id=td_block_7_widget-8]

Comments are no longer available on this story