KINGFIELD — It’s believed a spark from a chimney started a woods fire late Sunday morning on Christen Road, which is off West Kingfield Road.

About three acres of dried leaves and debris burned, Fire Chief Fred Nichols said. The fire was reported at 10:59 p.m., he said.

Property owner Frank Rogers was able to keep flames from burning a garage, Nichols said.  

About 20 firefighters from Kingfield, Carrabassett Valley and New Portland responded.

There was a pretty good ground fire going when firefighters arrived, Nichols said. It was all in the woods but the good thing was the west branch of the Carrabassett River borders one end, he said. Christen Road is a dead end.

“I am pretty sure the fire was started by a spark from a chimney,” he said, but he’s waiting for the Maine Forest Service to make the final determination.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: