A section of High Street in Farmington was closed off Tuesday morning after a propane leak was detected at 216 High St., near the University of Maine at Farmington campus. Donna M. Perry/Sun Journal

FARMINGTON — For the second time in nine days, the Fire Rescue Department blocked off streets Tuesday near the University of Maine at Farmington campus for a propane leak at a 10-unit apartment building at 216 High St.

A pedestrian initially reported to Franklin County dispatchers a smell of propane at 119 Lake Ave., which is off High Street, at 9:40 a.m. Firefighters went to that residence but there was no propane in use there. A second call reported the smell of propane farther down High Street. The streets were shut down about 10 a.m. and reopened about 11:30 a.m.

Firefighters discovered the leak at 216 High St., which is owned by Buzz Davis of Riverbend Property Management.

Dead River Co. technicians found a leak around the propane tank gauge, acting Fire Chief Tim Hardy said. The company pumped the tank off and replaced the gauge, he said.

A section of High Street was closed for about 90 minutes.

Sections of Front and Main streets were closed Nov. 18 after a check valve stayed open releasing propane at an unoccupied building at 274 Front St. A propane tank had been filled that morning at the unoccupied building owned by UMF. An Irving technician replaced the faulty valve, Hardy said last week. The building is the future home of the Sweatt-Winter Child Care and Early Childhood Center.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.