Lewiston firefighters spent much of Tuesday afternoon battling a fire at 41 Labbe Ave. in Lewiston. Russ Dillingham/Sun Journal Buy this Photo

LEWISTON – A fire in the basement of a home at 14 Labbe Ave. on Tuesday afternoon remains under investigation, Fire Department Capt. Paul Fournier said.

The homeowners were not injured, he said.

“When we got there, the cellar was completely engulfed in flames,” Fournier said. Some of the flames went up the chimney and damaged the the first floor.

“We opened some of the walls around the chimney, because there was some charring and burning going on,” Fournier said. “We were able to prevent the fire from reaching the attic. Most of the damage was done in the cellar.”

Fournier said the cause is not known, despite it being reported as a dryer fire.

“We’re still considering it undetermined, because we’re not sure that the fire originated from the dryer at this point,” he added.

Nobody was injured.

According to the Lewiston Geographical Information System, the house is owned by Trent and Jennifer McGlasson.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: