Lewiston, state and county police talk Thursday morning on Canal Street in Lewiston where a high-speed chase ended in a crash. The offending vehicle sits on a tow truck at right. Russ Dillingham/Sun Journal Buy this Photo

LEWISTON — A 31-year-old local man was arrested Thursday morning after leading police on a high-speed chase from Lewiston to Auburn and back to Lewiston where he crashed his car and fled on foot.

Joseph Michael Gallo Lewiston Police Department

Joseph Michael Gallo, 31, was captured and taken to St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center, then booked at the Androscoggin County Jail in Auburn, Lewiston police Lt. David St. Pierre said.

A jailer confirmed Thursday evening that Gallo, of 33 Lisbon St., was being held on 12 charges: two for eluding an officer, two for criminal speed, one for reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon, one for aggravated driving to endanger, one for driving to endanger, one for leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, one for theft of unauthorized use of property, two for operating after license suspension with one prior, and one for operating under the influence of drugs or a combination with one prior.

St. Pierre said the chase began shortly before 9 a.m. when the tan Buick sedan Gallo was driving was seen speeding down Lincoln Street in Lewiston and crossed Longley Bridge into Auburn before Lewiston police had a chance to pursue it.

In Auburn, an Androscoggin County Sheriff’s deputy spotted the car near the Androscoggin County Courthouse where it “erratically” turned from Court Street to Turner Street. The deputy chased it up Center Street, onto Northern Avenue, into an apartment complex, back to Center Street and across the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Bridge into Lewiston, St. Pierre said.

The deputy continued the chase up Russell Street, to Bellegarde Avenue and Kavanaugh Street with the car crashing into vehicles along the way.

The car cut through a parking lot onto Sabattus Street where a Lewiston officer joined in the pursuit from there down Ash Street to Canal Street where it crashed into a vehicle at Chestnut Street and a fire hydrant.

Minor injuries were reported from the Canal Street crash.

Maine State Police assisted with the accidents and traffic control.

The investigation is continuing, St. Pierre said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: