DEAR SUN SPOTS: Calling all Santa’s helpers! Bolster Heights Residential Care Facility is asking for donations for men and woman for the holiday season. As always, personal hygiene items and warm hats and gloves are appreciated. Our residents have been extra good this year and we want them to know how loved they all are. Thank you for your continued support. — Aariel, no town

ANSWER: There is a box outside the facility at 26 Bolster St. in Auburn and it is checked frequently so drop your donations there and if you have any questions, call Aariel, the activities director at 784-1364.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at Bolster Heights for their good work!

DEAR SUN SPOTS: On Friday, Sept. 3, I found a remote-control toy on the curb in my front yard on West Dartmouth Street in Auburn. I believe it must have fallen off a passing vehicle. It is an Xtreme 4-wheel cannon-type unit. If it is yours, I can be reached at 786-3484 to claim. — Joseph, Auburn

ANSWER: Someone is surely missing this toy. Let us know what happens and thanks for writing to Sun Spots about it. This is a great place for “Lost and Found”!

DEAR SUN SPOTS: Could you provide the contact information for organizations that help in downsizing or clearing out houses or estates in the central Maine area? I know you’ve addressed this before, but I have misplaced the information. — No Name, Lewiston

ANSWER: In the Rolodex, I have a local estate liquidation organization, Caring Transitions of Coastal Maine. They assist people with downsizing and organizing tasks, including selling items. They can help you if you are moving or just want to be more organized. You can find more information about them at or call 218-5197. The website has an email form you can use.

If you are just looking to be rid of junk such as doing a basement, garage, or barn clean-out, Leone’s Junk Removal (, 740-7002); The Dump Guy (, 450-5858); or Got Junk? (, 1-833-765-0601) can help you out. These businesses are all great. All you have to do is point to what you want taken away. You can call them or set up their visit to your home on line.

Readers, if you know of other companies that can help, please write in and I’ll add them to the Rolodex.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: Where can I go to have a CD player repaired? I have an old-style stereo that has both a cassette player and a CD player. The cassette player still works, but the CD player is stuck. — No name, Lewiston

ANSWER: In the Rolodex I have The Stereo Doctor at 121 Water St. in Augusta. He takes appointments only and the best way to reach him is by leaving him a voicemail or texting him at 623-3222. For more information, check out his website at I’m not sure if he can help, but it’s worth a try. Unfortunately, it’s very difficult and expensive to get parts and repair this equipment. It may be time to upgrade and I’m sure the Stereo Doctor can help with that as well. Readers, let me know if you have any other recommendations.

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name. We won’t use it if you ask us not to. Please include your phone number. Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be emailed to [email protected].

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: