Firefighters from the Wales Fire Department gather Sunday after extinguishing a barn fire at 710 Gardiner Road in Wales. Daryn Slover/Sun Journal

WALES — A man was left with severe burns on his hands after a fire Sunday morning, said Wales Fire Chief Anthony Siderio.

The owner of a welding repair shop was drilling a hole through a gas tank when he inadvertently created a spark, igniting the fuel within. The man then dropped the tank, burned both hands and spilled flames onto the floor.

Deputy Chief Brandon Siderio happened to be working with a firehouse lieutenant in a garage nearby when he noticed the smoke rising from the direction of the blaze. When they went over to investigate, the fire was blowing out of the door.

By the time the fire trucks arrived,  Brandon Siderio had used a garden hose to get the blaze under control. The fire was extinguished completely in about 30 minutes.

Wales Fire Department responded, supported by Sabattus, Greene, Leeds, Lisbon, Turner, Monmouth, and Winthrop.

The injured man was transported by Winthrop Ambulance Service to Central Maine Medical Center for treatment, said Chief Siderio. The name of the man was not released.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: