Debris is strewn on the ground Monday at 53 Broadview Ave. in Auburn after an explosion Sunday night injured a 35-year-old man. Four other people were at the house but not injured, according to police. Maine Department of Public Safety photo

AUBURN — A 35-year-old man was injured Sunday night in an explosion that occurred when butane was being used to extract THC from marijuana at a house at 53 Broadview Ave. in Auburn, according to police.

The man, who was not being identified Monday afternoon, suffered serious burns and other injuries, officials said.

He was taken by ambulance to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, where he was stabilized and then transferred to Maine Medical Center in Portland.

He is expected to survive, according to Shannon Moss, spokesperson for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Four other people were at the house when the explosion occurred — a 7-year-old girl, a 33-year-old woman, a 70-year-old woman and a 71-year-old man. None was injured, according to Moss.

The explosion caused a minor fire that Auburn firefighters extinguished quickly, but the blast caused extensive damage to the house, rendering it uninhabitable, Moss said.

The Office of State Fire Marshal is investigating the explosion and resulting fire.

This story will be updated.

Related Headlines

Comments are not available on this story.