Sign in or Subscribe See Offers

Sign In:

Senior citizen seeks advice on how to claim state relief check

3 min read
Resize Font Font size +

DEAR SUN SPOTS: We need your help again! To receive the $850 stimulus in June, could you please find out how a senior who receives only Social Security can receive the $850? I know it said you need to file a Maine state income tax form. Our question is, can you file a Maine tax form if you don’t file a federal tax form? Line 14 on the Maine 1040 form asks for federal adjusted gross income. Where do you get this amount if you don’t file a federal return? Any help you can give us seniors will be greatly appreciated. — Senior on Social Security, no town

ANSWER: To receive the governor’s relief check, you must file a 2021 Maine individual income tax return by Oct. 31, 2022. According to, those with no taxable income, such as some Social Security recipients, can check Box A on the front of the Maine Individual Income Tax Form 1040ME and complete the appropriate sections of Schedule PTFC/STFC to qualify. A website — — has been set up to answer frequently asked questions, including who is eligible, when you will receive your check, how you will receive it, and how to get help filing your taxes. You also can call Maine Revenue Services at (207) 624-9924 or CA$H Maine at 207-739-6530 for help filing your tax form. Another way for low- and middle-income Mainers to get free tax help is to visit, call 2-1-1, or visit Maine Revenue Services expects to deliver the checks beginning in June through the end of the year as tax returns are received.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: I discovered recently that Alterations by Judy at 906 Sabattus St. is closed. I used to take clothing there for alterations. Do you know if Judy has closed her business or if she has moved to a different location? I am looking for services of the kind that she used to provide. If you know of another service in the L-A area that does that kind of work, I would appreciate knowing about it. — Christos Gianopoulos, Greene

ANSWER: The phone number for Alterations by Judy has been disconnected, so it seems likely she is out of business. However, according to the Sun Spots Rolodex, Lolita’s Closet and Alterations on Court Street in Auburn is open Tuesday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The phone number is (207)405-3750. Dear readers, please write in if you know of others in the L-A area.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: Lewiston Housing has many volunteer opportunities coming up in our Food Security Program. This includes distributing food donations to our homebound residents, setting up sharing tables, assisting residents with gardening and more! If you are interested in volunteering, contact Kelly Davis 207-520-4608 or — Kelly Davis, Lewiston

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name. We will not use it if you ask. Please include your phone number. Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be emailed to

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: