Fire singed a Lewiston redemption center Wednesday afternoon. Lewiston Fire Department photo

LEWISTON — A Lisbon Street bottle redemption store was singed Wednesday afternoon when a pallet loaded with boxes went up in flames at about 1 p.m.

A fire investigator said that the blaze at RC Redemption and Beverage Center, at 700 Lisbon St. was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Nobody was hurt in the fire, which was quickly doused by firefighters. Investigators said the exterior of the building was singed, but there was no extensive damage otherwise.

It was the first of two fires in Lewiston on Wednesday afternoon caused by discarded cigarettes. The second occurred at about 3:30 p.m. at a home on Orange Street.

Fire crews made quick work of that blaze, as well, and the five families who live there were able to return to their homes.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: