A fire reportedly caused by a malfunctioning furnace engulfs a house Saturday afternoon at 26 Meadow St. in Bingham. Photo courtesy of Diane Poulin

BINGHAM — Fire destroyed a house Saturday afternoon at 26 Meadow St. in Bingham, according to an official.

The Bingham Fire Department responded to the blaze at about 3 p.m., Chief Scott Laweryson said Sunday. The house was consumed in flames when firefighters arrived.

The family living at the house was home at the time and able to evacuate, Laweryson said, adding the father might have had to bring one child out of the house.

The child was taken to Redington-Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan with burns and smoke inhalation, Shannon Moss, spokesperson for the Department of Public Safety, wrote in an email Sunday. Moss said the child suffered minor injuries and was expected to be fine.

Laweryson said he was not aware of injuries to other members of the family.

The Office of State Fire Marshal has investigated the fire, finding it was the result of a furnace that had malfunctioned, Moss said.

Firefighters were reportedly able to respond within minutes to the fire because several were nearby.

“Some of us were right in the middle of town and saw the smoke and headed to the station,” Laweryson said. “I don’t think we could have been any faster than we were.”

Comments are not available on this story.