CANTON — A family and their dog escaped to safety Thursday morning after a television caught fire and flames spread through the living room.

Fire crews were called to 595 Turner St. about 9 a.m. after the homeowners’ attempts to extinguish the flames were unsuccessful. The couple fled the single-story home with the family dog and crews from several towns arrived to battle the blaze.

Canton Fire Chief Jason Vaughn said the Thanksgiving Day fire appeared to have originated near the television and that it was likely electrical in nature.

“The homeowner said he heard a pop and then there was smoke and flames,” Vaughn said. “He tried putting it out before deciding that he couldn’t do it and so they called 911 and got out of the house.”

When firefighters first arrived, they reported heavy smoke pouring out of the home. Nobody was seriously hurt in the blaze. The names of the couple who live in the home were not immediately available.

Canton firefighters were joined by crews from Dixfield, Peru and Mexico and Med-Care Ambulance was at the scene.

Vaungn said firefighters were able to knock down the flames, but the living room area was damaged by smoke and fire. He did not consider the home a total loss, but the family was said to be staying with friends or family later Thursday.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: