Police officers investigate a fatal accident Wednesday evening at the intersection of Lisbon Street and East Avenue in Lewiston. Daryn Slover/Sun Journal

LEWISTON — A young woman was killed Wednesday after she was struck by a pickup truck near the intersection of Lisbon Street and East Avenue. Minutes later, a second woman was seriously injured after a collision on Park Street.

Emergency crews were called out to East Avenue and Lisbon Street at about 4:30 p.m. for a report of a person being struck by a vehicle. When crews arrived, they found her down in the street in a pool of blood. Witnesses said the woman was dressed in dark clothing and that she was not moving or speaking when police, fire and rescue crews first arrived.

The crash occurred in the left turn lane, a few feet from the crosswalk on the side of East Avenue where the former Martel Elementary School sits. Several people stopped at the scene to render aid to the victim. One wrapped the woman in an emergency blanket while another held her hand.

The victim’s identity was not available. At the scene, police were speaking with a man and several women in the area where the crash occurred.

Police said the driver of the pickup truck had been turning from Lisbon Street onto East Avenue and was unable to stop in time when the young woman appeared in the street. Police described the man as “extremely cooperative” and said that drugs, alcohol and speed do not appear to be factors in the wreck.

While rescue crews were dealing with that scene, a second report of a pedestrian struck by a vehicle came in, this time on Park Street in front of Simone’s hot dog stand and restaurant.


Early reports indicated that victim suffered a head injury. She was listed in serious condition later Wednesday at Central Maine Medical Center. Police said the woman was struck by an unlicensed 17-year-old who had been driving with no lights on.

That crash, too, remained under investigation and the identities of those involved were not being released.

Back on East Avenue, police shut down the area around the intersection while their investigation into the crash got underway. It was expected the area would remain closed to traffic for several hours while the scene was reconstructed.

Later Wednesday at that scene, a person was taken into custody by police after allegedly interfering with the investigation. Witnesses said that person drove past barricades as police were working on the scene.

Both crashes occurred just after sundown on a late afternoon that was marked by a constant drizzle. Police said poor visibility appeared to be factors in both wrecks.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: