WILTON — A man was injured by an electrical shock Friday while he was painting a house at 92 Weld Road.

He was standing on a ladder and using an extension rod that touched electrical wires. The electrical current went into his body through his hands and out through his knees, said Tom Doak, deputy chief of the Wilton Fire Rescue Department.

The shock threw the man off the ladder. He “got some burns from the electricity” to his knees, and possibly other parts of the body, Doak said.

The unidentified man was painting the house for a friend, Doak said.

The man apparently was conscious and alert when he was taken by a NorthStar EMS ambulance to Franklin Memorial Hospital in Farmington. There was a possibility of being taken to another hospital from there, Doak said.

A fire reported at 6:40 p.m. — caused by the electrical shock — got into the roof and then into the house.

About 15 firefighters from Wilton, Jay, East Dixfield and Farmington were able to put out the fire. The house is still habitable and has to be looked at by an electrician. There was some smoke damage.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: