PARIS — A Maine Superior Court judge heard two impassioned pleas in the case against Kayla Day and Corey Emerson, Wednesday, June 7. One from Emerson’s mother and the other from victim Shelby Maniatty.

Day and Emerson allegedly stole three cars, two shotguns and $11,000 in camera equipment in a spree over the course of several days.

Standing before the judge in the Oxford County courtroom one of the victims said, “My name is Shelby Maniatty.  Corey and Kayla stole my vehicle and all of my photography equipment.” She said that they now know her address from paperwork and checks that were recovered at their camper.

“I don’t feel safe. I’m a mother that is home alone a lot and I do not feel safe… I don’t feel safe with them out on the street. What if I was at a gas pump and I was paying for my gas and my two year daughter was in my car.

“What if I had to turn around and go back to my car because I forgot something and it was two against one in the dark. I do not feel safe and the citizens of Bethel do not feel safe.

“And everybody is very, very upset with how this was handled before and that they were released and two days later they did the same thing but worse.  These people have nothing to lose. So who is not to say that they are not going to hurt somebody the next time they get out. Because they have nothing to lose.”


Emerson was arraigned via a video transmission from the Oxford County Jail. In the back of the holding room Day could be seen. At one point she came up behind Emerson only to be reprimanded by the court officer and sent back.

“What is apparent here is a terrible addiction problem,” said Judge Thomas McKeon.

For Emerson’s seven felony charges the state asked for $5,000 cash bail. Assistant District Attorney Richard Beauchesne pointed to the seriousness of the charges of alleged theft of firearms (Class B felony) as well as the theft of $11,000 in camera equipment.

He requested bail conditions including that Emerson have no contact with Day, no contact with any of the victims and that he not return to the addresses of any of the three addresses. He also asked that Emerson not use or have possession of illegal drugs [reasonable search]; or possession of firearms or dangerous weapons [random search].

Emerson’s attorney, Maurice Porter, argued that the firearms and photo equipment had been recovered  He said all the charges were for non-violent offenses. Further, the Sheriff’s Office cited a great level of cooperation by Emerson. Porter asked the court to lower the bail to $2,500. He said the only the problematic condition requested by the state was the “no contact” provision with co-defendant, Day. Porter argued that they were married and had a child together. (He later corrected himself, saying they lived together but were not married.)

The grandmother of the couple’s child said, “They have no consideration of him [their child]. They do not ever try to call him. Easter was the last time he spoke with either one of them. They are too busy, your honor, using their drugs to live their life… he [the child] is safe with me and he is going to remain with me.”


Lauretta Sanborn of Maine Pre-trial Services spoke on Emerson’s behalf, “I do have a history with him. It goes way back to 2009 when I had him in community confinement… I had him again in 2018. Completed very successfully… I do know that he could cooperate with me and did very well in the past.” She said she would be willing to screen him again.

Justice McKeon made his decision, “I’m going to set bail at $2,500 or in the alternative $250, subject to a Maine pre-trial contact.” He adopted the state’s recommendation that Emerson have no contact with Kayla Day and the other conditions asked for by the State.

“I don’t think it’s the type of case that makes sense that he remain incarcerated indefinitely until such time as we have a trial…”

“They have been charged with felonies as a result of the contact … The result of that could be significant penalties.

“It usually works, the vast majority of time to set certain conditions … that they comply with conditions… can’t contact you, can’t use drugs, they are subject to random search for dangerous weapons… I can’t just hold somebody without bail… he’s not here on a violation of bail.”

To Maniatty, McKeon said, “It’s designed to provide you protection. It’s designed to have a stick if we need it … but this is the first time around. We’re not here on a motion to revoke bail.”


Maniatty said she understood the judges decision but went on to say, “drug addicts are very predictable and they [Day and Emerson] have now been sober in jail for two days. The first thing they are going to do when they get bailed out for $250 dollars or $2,500 dollars is steal something or steal money from somebody  because they have nothing to go get their fix.”

“The police will do bail checks. The state will come here and do a motion that they be held without bail, or they do great,” said McKeon.

They are not here on a probation violation or a bail violation. I have authority to set bail at the least restrictive alternative and that’s what I have done that I think will reasonably insure the public’s safety… let the police department know your concerns,” McKeon said to Maniatty.

Kayla Day

Attorney Sarah Glynn, who was representing Kayla Day, said her client also asked to be allowed to have contact with Emerson. Day had a nine-count complaint including possession of a firearm by a prohibited person.

“Can I please have contact with Corey?’ asked Day from the video screen.


Emerson’s mother stood again and said to the judge that she felt they (Emerson and Day) needed to stay in jail as long as they can. “They are both awful drug addicts and they need help.”

Her comment elicited an angry outburst from Day.

Like Emerson, the  judge set the bail at $2,500 “or $250 if she is able to successfully screen with Maine pre-trial,” he said.

The day before the arraignment, Boston Ludden made a Team Bethel Facebook request for people to call the district attorney’s office and ask that they withhold bail for Day and Emerson. Wrote Ludden, “We need everyone who wants to change this community to step up and do the right thing and we will start to see a change! I know we all want to better this community and it starts with us, we the people! Thank you all!”

A representative in the DA’s office said they had, “no comment” when asked how many calls were received regarding the case.




Comments are not available on this story.