LEWISTON — A woman was treated for burns Friday night after a grease fire that prompted the evacuation of a building at Meadowview Apartments.

Crews were called to the 23 Spofford St. complex shortly before 7 p.m. for a report of fire in a kitchen. One witness said the woman was cooking in a second-floor apartment when something on the stove exploded.

Firefighters made quick work of the fire but the building was filled with smoke and crews made sure flames hadn’t spread to the attic area.

Adjacent apartments were evacuated as fire crews battled flames and smoke. Two dogs were taken out of the building unharmed, witnesses said.

The woman who was burned was taken by ambulance to a Lewiston hospital. A witness said when the explosion occurred, the woman was struck by hot grease and burned in the arms and face. No further information was available about the extent of her injuries.

An official from the State Fire Marshal’s office was contacted about the blaze, which remained under investigation later Friday.

Comments are not available on this story.