WINDHAM (AP) – An 80-year-old man died in a house fire that appears to have been caused by smoking by the lone occupant, officials said Sunday.

The body of Sidney Nute was found in the kitchen of the one-story home on Redwood Avenue, said Stephen McCausland of the state Public Safety Department.

A neighbor who spotted the flames called the fire department, McCausland said.

Investigators from the state Fire Marshal’s office said the fire started near a chair in the living room, and the fire was largely confined to that room.

McCausland said the victim used oxygen for medical reasons.

An autopsy was scheduled for Monday to confirm the cause of Nute’s death.


Facebook comments