NORWAY – Quick response by firefighters contained a small fire that broke out around 9 p.m. Tuesday in the addition under construction at Stephens Memorial Hospital in Norway.

Norway Fire Chief Mike Mann said a circuit breaker overheated and burned out in the upper portion of the addition, igniting the fire. Flames were showing from the roofline when the first fire engines arrived.

The fire was contained quickly as firefighters from Norway and Paris laid over 500 feet of hose along lower Main Street to nearby hydrants. Around 50 firefighters responded, and the street was closed off to traffic for around an hour.

Mann described the damage done to the construction as minor.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.