BRIDGTON (AP) – Poland Spring bottled water that made two people sick earlier this month became contaminated at the store where it was sold, authorities said Monday.

Police told WCSH-TV in Portland that the cleaning product Lysol accidentally spilled onto a case of the water at the Food City supermarket.

A 40-year-old man became violently ill after drinking the water Dec. 3 and had to be taken to a hospital. A 4-year-old girl who drank the water the following day became less seriously ill.

The Food City store pulled all one-gallon containers of Poland Spring water off its shelves.

Police said there was no evidence that the bottles had been tampered with. A Poland Spring spokeswoman said an investigation at the Hollis plant, where the water was bottled, found no indication of any problem.

The state Bureau of Health also determined that the contamination was accidental.

AP-ES-12-22-03 1936EST



Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.